Volunteer Information and Ongoing Support Groups
Meetings are held in the Openhouse Community Room – 541 Castro Street at 18th Street- Map
Please call Sylvia Vargas, Friendly Visitor Program Manager at 415-659-8123 for more information.
THE FRIENDLY VISITOR PROGRAM OF OPENHOUSE
Caring people are matched with LGBT older adults who may be isolated or interested in strengthening connections to community. The program also links older adults with community resources.
“Social connections keep people healthy!”
A Caring Connections senior at Openhouse:
- Is someone who may be feeling lonely;
- May not get “out and about” as much as they would like;
- Would enjoy more companionship or emotional support.
A Caring Connections Friendly Visitor:
- Cares about reaching across generations in our community;
- Is interested in making a difference in the lives of LGBT older adults by sharing a bit of their time and themselves;
- Is a good listener, patient, and kind;
- Is a person of any age who would enjoy the company of an older friend;
- Visits at least twice a month for about an hour or so to provide social connection and emotional support;
- Can commit to a year of service;
- Attends a volunteer orientation, ongoing training, and information on community resources; and
- Engages in a monthly support group offered at Openhouse.
How can you become involved?
To be considered as a volunteer Friendly Visitor in our Caring Connections program, plan to attend a Friendly Visitor information night and complete a screening process. This process includes completion of an application, an interview, background and references checks, and an all-day training orientation.
If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, to volunteer or refer an LGBT senior, please call:
Sylvia Vargas, Friendly Visitor Program Manager at 415-659-8123 or email her.
Download the Caring Connections Volunteer Application Here